Saturday, October 13, 2012

Just about Kimmy


                                                 

I've worked for Sylvan for 3 years. Last week I was offered a Director of Education position at a center in Redlands. When I was first offered the position I was excited and ready to embark on this new adventure, but after starting the job and having countless phone meetings with corporate I started seeing red flags. One thing I've learned in life is to listen and listen carefully. The choice of words that people make when talking are for a reason. They are easy to miss which in the end causes nothing but conflict and heart ache. They needed someone to fix their mess. I was their "salvation", exactly what they needed to make that center great and make it run the way it should. I felt important and wanted, but what I didn't know is that they had other plans. They knew I had a timeline and that I was leaving in February. They wanted me to fix their center and then train someone to take my place all in the 3 months that I was available. I am all for making things better and leaving my mark on the world, but this just seemed a little too crazy. I don't want to be used. If the the pay was amazing and there were benefits then I wouldn't even think twice about be taken advantage of, its a win win situation. In fact I would even consider putting off school so I wouldn't have to train someone to take my place. I wouldn't need to go back to school! Unfortunately this job title offers awful hrs (11-8), no paid vacations, no raises, and most importantly no insurance. So in my way of thinking...it's just not worth it. I love Sylvan and I truly believe the system works, I just don't think they take care of their employees like they should. It's a shame. 


As of right now I'm back at the Rialto Center and I couldn't be more thankful for that. I'm still going to get the DE training so if I ever needed to take that job (for whatever reason) I would be ready. I just get the luxury of staying where I belong. It's closer to home and the people there are just so much better.

                         

After several years of working in the schools and working with children, I have never felt like I was good enough. This taught me a lesson. It taught me that I am good enough. In fact, I'm excellent at what I do. You think I would have gotten that from all the parent phone calls demanding that their child be with when they went in for help or the stack of thank you letters and gifts from the kids. It took this huge ordeal for me to take a step back and realized that I am accomplishing what I set out to do. Even though its not in my own classroom yet, I'm on my way. This has given me the confidence to Believe that I can change children lives and be a positive influence on them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment